Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Next Steps for MS on Android (maybe iOS too)

Having recently made the switch to Android (not exactly thrilled, but I do have functioning apps I need now), I am seeing that MS has done a lot for users on Android. Obviously, they brought Office over. They've added the Arrow Launcher, lock screen and other apps. IMO, they need to step it up a notch and compete the experience.

While they cant realistically replace the Play Store, they could do a lot to make life better for users coming from WP, or for those who just don't want to be all Google.

Contacts - Syncing Outlook.com contacts is a mess. What's the feasibility of porting People over from WP? Can it be made to integrate at a system level in Android?

Calendar - For some reason, I cant get Cortana to work with my Outlook.com calendar. Make Cortana work with Outlook if its installed instead of the system calendar, which doesn't seem, to like Outlook.com. Or make outlook.com work with the Android/Gmail system calendar.

Photos - yes, I can install One Drive and backup my photos, but to see photos from One Drive that aren't local, I have to open the One Drive app. MS needs to make a Photos app for Android that automatically integrates local photos with One Drive, maybe even Google Photos too. Allow me to make this the default picker for sharing pictures, etc system wide.

Music/Groove - For some reason, Groove on Android cannot play local files as the system default audio player. (unless I'm doing it wrong somehow) It only can play local audio that has been downloaded by Groove. This means if I want to play music off my SD card, I have to use Google Music or VLC or something else. Then, when I want to play music from my Groove pass, I have to open Groove.

Video - I have actually used Movies and TV to rent and buy movies a few times. It would be nice to have access to that content on Android too.

One Drive/Files - for an extra bonus, make the One Drive app also the system file browser so One Drive feels more like a seamless extension of the OS.

So, maybe this stuff is all obvious, but if MS isn't really going to me a mobile option, it would be nice if they took the Android integration of their services a step further and made them feel more native.


from Windows Central Forums http://ift.tt/2rcb41N
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment