Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Windows 7 -> Windows 10 -> Windows 7, Activation issue

Hi.

I have a laptop (Toshiba Satellite L500), which, yes I know is quite old. This laptop came with Windows 7 pre-installed.

In 2016, after many prompts from the computer, I allowed it to 'free-upgrade' itself to Windows 10.

Windows 10, for many reasons, was not working out for me - which I assume was likely to do with bloating over time, and my laptop being quite old. It got so slow that I decided to roll back to Windows 7.

The only hardware change I made to the computer was replacing the 4GB RAM with 8GB (in an attempt to solve Win10's slowness).

Unfortunately I have misplaced over the last decade my Toshiba restore disks, so I downloaded the installers for Windows 7, and started from scratch reinstalling the edition of Windows that came with my computer.

After installing Windows 7 Home 32bit, I realised my error in not being able to use the increased RAM, so I installed Windows 7 Home 64bit.

The computer is now blinking at me to "activate Windows" every time I turn it on. I can't use the original Product Key, because it was printed on a sticker underneath the laptop, but because it was underneath the laptop, it is entirely unreadable.

The internet leads me to believe Windows should recognise the hardware/motherboard and "know" it was previously activated on this machine, but it seems to not do that.

Can anyone help me fix this issue?


from Windows Central Forums https://ift.tt/2tDgrHK
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment