Wednesday, November 30, 2016

MS Health and 3rd Party Bands (Or the Sad Fall of MS Health)

Two days ago my 5th MS Band 2 developed a tear, and I braced myself for leaving the MS Health eco-system. Sure enough, when I got to the MS Store, the incredibly friendly and knowledgeable representative told me he didn't have any more Bands. He did let me exchange it for a Fitbit Surge.

Now, my wife has had a Fitbit for awhile, and while I appreciate that it hasn't died nearly as many times as my Band, I still like the MS Health platform a great deal more. I remember when they first released the platform, they implied that 3rd party trackers would work with it. I think we have all probably seen that graphic of the band, along with what looks like a jawbone and fitbit device "syncing" data with MS Health. And while the original Band was out, I kept looking for alternatives that would sync with MS Health, but none seemed to appear.

All that being said, at one point the platform looked as if it would support 3rd party devices. Do we know why that has never emerged? Was it something that MS wanted to do and then decided against? Is it something that 3rd parties like Fitbit never took them up on? It seems like all of these platforms have some level of interoperability. Is it simply a matter of someone working on some software to link them? Or are there technical limitations that have excluded this option?

In addition to that, I wonder, with all the MS Bands silently dying and not being replaced, what does MS do with the MS Health platform it created. Does it let it silently die as well? Thanks for listening.

Jim


from Windows Central Forums http://ift.tt/2gJJ0Ll
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment