Thursday, July 13, 2017

How Microsoft killed Windows Phone, then killed it again.

I can't help but notice all these articles popping up around the web on the death of Windows Phone, while I stare at my Lumia 950 charging on my desk.
Interestingly, these appear more numerous than when Microsoft launched its last devices.

Yesterday was the perfect opportunity for Microsoft to remind everyone of their commitment to Windows on phones or mobile, or whatever Microsoft wants to call the next thing.
But what do we get from Microsoft? Silence! Opportunity missed.
It's baffling how such a huge corporation is this poor at marketing and communication. If there was a time to remind the media and the users that you were not done, this was it.

I still remember my red Nokia Lumia 920. Almost designed to perfection. It still is, in my opinion one of the best smartphones ever manufactured.
It was also loaded with features that are still being introduced today on other platforms. (some users are still waiting on wireless charging)

The problem... or Microsoft's problem?
Users saw value in the products; Microsoft did not. They gave up on Nokia months after releasing a few waves of cool devices, then destroyed the history and legacy of Nokia, while flushing 7Bn down the pipes.

Apps... the elephant in the room.
Worst case would be to allow .APK files to run on the platform, which we know is possible. This was quickly disabled from developer options.

To those who say silence is their form of communicating the exit from the mobile space, that would be another terrible decision.
How do you create a "mobile first, cloud first" world without a mobile device? Software alone is not going to be enough,
How do you gain credibility in the mobile space after abandoning it numerous times. This matters with software as well as hardware.

There is room for more players in the mobile space, but Microsoft has to regain the trust of users to be part of it.
On my desk next to my Lumia 950, is a OnePlus 2, but I'd really like to have just one device.
Microsoft made that choice much easier with their retrenchment from the market.

However, after almost a year of using the OnePlus 2 as my daily device, a few things have become clear to me.

  • I still prefer the interactive layout of Windows Mobile 10


  • That smooth scrolling quickly disappeared on the OP2, but it's still there on the Lumia 950


  • The backup solution built into Windows Mobile 10 is far superior to what exists on OP2 or Android. I miss the ability to sign in once and recover not just my apps and settings, but also my system preferences and start screen layout with folders. I had to root my OP2 and flash a custom ROM to get this level of backup on Android and it's still not at the level of WM 10.


  • I don't enjoy using my daily device. It works and it has all the apps, but I miss the experience of Windows Mobile 10. It made reading and scrolling through pictures fun. It would be great to once again own a device which I enjoy using. I can truly say this about the Lumia 950 on its most stable build.


  • I miss the quality of the PureView camera. It snaps great shots without dual lenses.


  • I miss the functionality of Cortana where my messages would be dictated to me automatically in the car, or the ability to open any app with my voice while driving.


These are just a few features that I miss which may go away forever with the "Death of Windows Phone".
I know Windows 10 Mobile is around, but for how much longer?
Microsoft can do something about it, but what will it be and how soon? They've remained silent for so long that this too may have been the final blow to the platform.


from Windows Central Forums http://ift.tt/2udR9lm
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment