Friday, December 2, 2016

Darn it! We can no longer leave the insider program until the next stable build!

Apparently I didn't get the memo..

MS recently changed their Insider policy: previously you could install e.g. a fast ring build, then hit 'stop receiving insider builds', reboot, and disable feedback and diagnostics. This is no longer possible. Now you can 'pause' the insider program for up to a week, but you can't get out of the insider program, and therefore you can't disable Full Diagnostics.

I understand their logic: they want quality feedback and diagnostics to see what is going wrong on people's phones. Personally I just want to see new features and update to a possibly less buggy build, and I don't like sending MS the content of my emails and whatsapp chats. These things DO get sent along with some diagnostics reports (see here). Quote: "...which may unintentionally include parts of a document you were using when a problem occurred". That page also says this: "We share this data with vendors or agents working on our behalf". So your personal data gets spread across the internet when you're in the Insider Program.

So I guess me and my tinfoil hat don't belong in the Insider Program, but now that I know this it's going to be a long wait until my current Slow Build converts to a stable build, unless I restore to the previous stable build. What a pain!


from Windows Central Forums http://ift.tt/2gvyn1L
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment