Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Issues with Micro-SD card and WiFi connectivity.

I got a new Lumia 650 dual SIM for Black Friday and I'm having two extremely frustrating issues with it. I was hoping someone here may have a fix or two for me.

1) Major problems with taking and viewing photos on my micro-SD card, a Patriot branded 64G card I got because I was having major issues with a SanDisc micro-SD card in my Lumia 635. (The issues I was having with the SanDisc in the 635 were not fixed by replacing it in that phone so I think the Patriot may have the same issues).

So this long story goes back to my T-Mobile Lumia 635. I had a SanDisc Micro-SD card in that phone that worked great until the final software update that T-Mobile provided - that made it so that apps on the card all broke, crippling the phone. I replaced the micro-SD with another one, but had the same problem (it was the same make and model). Recently I had been using the Lumia 635 again so I replaced the SanDisc branded 64G card with one from Patriot, and sadly it had the same bug.

Fast forward to current day - part of the reason I got this 650 was because of this frustrating incompatibility.

I do not save any apps on the 650. Only music and photos. The problem is sometimes when I save photos (using two different versions of pro-shot and the built-in photo app - I think all photo apps would have the same bug but I've only tried 3) it will take forever to save the photo - when I open the photos app the photos don't save. Sometimes the photos if I try to delete them say I don't have permission to delete. When the photos are messed up like this if I try to turn off the phone it will sit on "Goodbye" forever - I have to open the back and pull the battery or do a hard power down to power the phone down. This happens ALL THE TIME whenever I use my cameras. I haven't tried another micro-SD card yet. I don't want to buy another micro-SD card. For now I've changed the photo saving to the in-phone memory. I'll see if this fixes the issue.

Also - perhaps related - if I try to access files and folders on the SD card through the phone - using a USB cable to connect the phone to my computer - the access to the SD card is excruciatingly slow. It's basically unusable. I have to dismount the card and power down, open the phone and remove the card to add music files or download photos or anything like that. When I connect the card to my computer or Surface tablet it is blazingly fast.

Anyone having similar odd issues with a Micro-SD card?

2) It loses WiFi capability for network connection. I have a WiFi router in my house and the phone is connected often I will look down and the WiFi signal will be gone. When I try to connect it says there's no internet connection but I know there is - other devices are connected like my tablets. If I re-boot the phone I get no problem great wifi.

Other than these issues I like the phone. Nice screen, nice form factor, good cameras, reasonable performance (if slow sometimes - could be caused by the SD card problem?).

It's odd that my SD card issues started with a specific Windows 8.1 phone build, and continue to Windows 10 with many of the same symptoms.


from Windows Central Forums http://ift.tt/2inLKzo
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment