Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Picked up the 2TB GOW Xbox One S - My thoughts.

First, I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not doing more thorough research which would have saved me some minor surprises and disappointments.

My first surprise/disappointment: The controller does not come with a rechargeable battery pack but two standard AA batteries. I understand that I can just get rechargeable batteries, but considering that both my xbox 360 and PS3 had this, it feels like a step backwards.

My second surprise/disappointment: I actually have to download an app for the system to play Blu-ray discs. Now that is just ridiculous. I was planning to get a 4K tv soon and after all the hype about the system's ability to play 4k discs it's a shock to see that I need an app..an app with low ratings at that. If I wanted to play Dvds/Blu-ray on the PS3, it was just a matter of popping them in.

Third surprise/disappointment: That home screen is an unholy mess. Sweet Geebus, I hope it gets better real soon.

Fourth surprise/disappointment: The 'Xbox' button on the controller - to power on/off the system and return to the home screen - is mushy. The old 360 controller was solid and gave definite, tactile feedback when it was pressed.

None of these are real deal breakers..this is a gaming system after all. I'm still a bit disappointed, though. Microsoft built up the entertainment hub features of the device and it feels to me like my PS3 is better in some areas. Using "Universal Media Server', I could transfer the main movie file of my Blu-ray rips (thus getting the ability to store the discs or sell them) to my PS3 and it played them just fine. I can't do this with the Xbox One S so again, while not a deal breaker, it means I should return my current Xbox One S for one with much lower storage. I'm a casual gamer who prefers to buy physical games, so the threat of digital downloads quickly eating up my space is not high.

Also, what is the deal with the 'bitstream' option? If the whole point of bitstreaming is to let your surround receiver do the actual decoding, why is the Xbox giving the choice of either DTS or Dolby digital?

Anyway, thank for letting me rant. I really should have made more pointed inquiries before selecting the 2TB model, but man..does this console and controller look freaking sweet.


from Windows Central Forums //forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=451127&goto=newpost
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment