Friday, March 1, 2019

Microsoft and the Consumer

These days, I keep wondering what the hell is going on over at Microsoft? They really seem to be totally ignoring the typical consumers (of which millions are running Windows). The only consumer product over there, other than windows, that seems to be semi-successful is Xbox. They seem to be so focused on Azure, they are almost completely ignoring the consumer market. (I'm ok with a focus on Azure, I'm a developer and the company I work for has gone all in on Azure).

First it was windows on phones, they were making great progress in my opinion, but then they bought Nokia and killed everything. Then went the music subscription service. Then the Microsoft Band bit the dust (I loved my Band 2). I enjoy renting movies through the micorosoft store (I use my rewards points usually), but I can't watch them on my Android phone. Cortana was making progress with the HK Invoke and the GLAS thermostat, but now the multi-user feature of the HK Invoke has been removed and Cortana development seems to have ground to a halt. Even development of the Office suite seems to be practically dead.

Now we hear that the Windows 10 releases this year are really just changing things up under the hood, and there will be no significant features. In fact, I used to run insider releases on my laptop, but with the 19H1 releases they could NOT be installed on my HP Spectre x360 - every install freezes at some point, and rebooting causes a rollback. I hear reports that this also happens to a number of Dell laptops. Despite much feedback sent, and some direct communication with Microsoft about the problem, there has never been a resolution.

The biggest nail in the coffin to me was the latest update to Outlook on Android - I used it to get my personal email and my corporate email (via Office 365). It notifies me when I get new email from work, but refuses to display any new emails. Removing the account and re-adding it gets new messages then, but after that no more syncing.

For a company with a huge group of developers, progress on anything but Azure just seems to have come to a complete halt this year. And I'm guessing I'm not the only consumer that is getting entirely annoyed by this. I know Azure is brining in a lot of money, but good consumer products with a little marketing and better availability should be a big priority. So why the seeming complete drop the consumer product market?


from Windows Central Forums https://ift.tt/2NCwjTY
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment