Sunday, March 24, 2019

Things that surprised me about the Invoke...

I know I'm late to the party, but I thought I'd share my observations regarding the Invoke in case anyone is still considering buying it.
.
I've been intrigued by the Harman Kardon Invoke since it was first announced, but there were a number of reasons why I didn't buy it (non-availability and non-support in Canada, Microsoft's questionable track record with hardware/support).

However, I recently discovered a company that specializes in shipping USA exclusive products to Canada, so I finally decided to order it. With the extra fees/markup (and a newsletter signup discount), I ended up paying around $90Cdn.

I've set up and have been using the Invoke for a couple days, and here are a few things I didn't expect:

-I was going to use my Windows10 PC to set up the Invoke, but soon discovered that that wouldn't work because my PC doesn't have built in Wi-Fi. In all my research, I don't recall that every being mentioned as a requirement. So, my only other option was to try using my Windows phone, and that worked.
-After setup was complete, I was able to modify the Invoke setting using my PC.

-I had read that the Skype subscription (which includes free calls from the USA to any location within North America, including landlines) was a limited time offer that expired last year. But to my surprise, I received an email the next day saying that my Skype subscription had been activated. I've confirmed that the local landline call feature actually works.

-I've never used TuneIn or iHeartRadio before so I had no expectations...but I am happy with it so far.

-I was expecting to receive the type of power supply where the brick is in the middle of the power cable. Instead, I received the type where the brick plugs directly into the power outlet. Unfortunately, it is very bulky and prevents a second appliance from being plugged into that outlet. But I still prefer this style because I don't like having a brick floating around in no man's land

-I read in a number of places that I would need to specify Celsius when asking for the current weather...but Cortana has been providing the current temperature and forecast in Celsius by default

-I've used Cortana before on the Xbox One Kinect and found it very frustrating because I would basically have to yell in order for my voice commands to be heard, and would often have to repeat my questions/commands. On the Invoke, Cortana is a vastly superior listener.


from Windows Central Forums https://ift.tt/2HRYM7q
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment