Thursday, October 27, 2016

Why are downloads for Windows 10 so low?

I recently started writing apps for the Windows Universal platform as I was a Windows Phone 7.5 and 8 developer before. And I expected the downloads to be at the least as much as they were during Windows Phone 7.5 days. However to my horror, I noticed that they were painfully low. Now I know that desktop users do not want to use Windows Store applications, but the number - even if we consider mobile downloads only - is pretty painful. I am attaching a screenshot of the downloads of my old, never popular app from the Windows Phone days. Take a look below:

Untitled.png

As you can see, Windows Phone 8.1 tops the list. This is no surprise as the sales were good during Windows Phone 8.1 days and almost all Windows Phone 8 devices were upgradable to Windows Phone 8.1. But what explains the numbers for Windows 10? I have just seven downloads when compared to 37 on Windows Phone 8 and 23 on Windows Phone 7.5. How on earth is this possible? Please note, there have been few apps of this kind in Windows 10 store. I am guessing that the number of Windows 10 mobile devices is pitifully low. But how can they be lower than WP7.5 and WP8? All Lumia devices (as well as a few from other OEMs) that shipped with 8.1 were upgradable to 10. Even a couple of WP8 devices were upgradable. That MS did not push the 10 update could be a reason.

I have also noticed similar numbers for my UWP apps.

What could be the possible reason? Or am I the only one facing this issue?
Attached Images


from Windows Central Forums http://ift.tt/2eItIWY
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment