Saturday, April 29, 2017

I Asked Microsoft Support About Future of W10M

I've just purchased an Elite X3 and I want to start purchasing UWP apps in the store that I can use both on my desktop and on my phone. Bit pointless if W10M is "dead". So I contact Microsoft support to ask whether investing in the store for UWP apps with the intent to use them on mobile is worth it. This is what they said;

MSS: I understand that you are facing issues to purchasing apps from the Windows Store . Am I correct?

ME: Kind of. Let me explain. I'm considering purchasing apps in the Windows store as they would work on my Windows 10 PC and my Windows Mobile, however, I've heard Microsoft is abandoning Windows Mobile sometime in the near future. If this is the case then the apps in the Windows store won't be worth investing in. I'm contacting you for some clarity on the issue. If I purchase a UWP app in the Windows Store for my desktop and mobile, will Microsoft being supporting mobile in the long term thus making any investment in the store worthwhile?

MSS: Thank you for explaining your concern. I completely understand your concern. Please be informed that we have the dedicated team for supporting the windows Mobile which means Microsoft will keep support the Store Apps which was purchased in the mobile.

ME: So Microsoft will continue to develop Windows mobile? I want to purchase movies in the store also so I can watch them on my desktop and on my phone. This won't be worth the purchase unless Microsoft is planning on supporting Windows Mobile in the long term. Is this what you're saying the will do?

MSS: Yes. so far whatever you have purchased will be supported .. Also, please be informed that we have not got any Official update that Microsoft is going to stop the Mobile Support. IF we are stopping the support , you will be notified:) So, not to worry .

ME: I don't worry about not being notified about support being stopped. I worry about paying for UWP apps on mobile if it is planned to be unsupported in the next year. Thank you for your help anyway.

MSS: You are welcome :) I do understand your concern. Since we have not received any official update here , I could not tell you that we are going to stop the services for Mobile.. I will keep this case and update you in the future. Is that okay?

ME: Yes, thank you very much. Have a good night. Bye.

I didn't expect support to know anything, but I thought the question is worth asking as it is a real concern I have. I think he points something out that we all need to keep in mind, "nothing official" has come from anyone. All we have is speculation and rumours. For me, the idea of one of the biggest tech companies in the world, worth billions, with billions in offshore accounts, just bowing out of the mobile sector, probably one of the, if not the most important sector of technology when it comes to commercial interests, just sounds complete bonkers and unimaginable. After all the time and investment, the damage it would do to their reputation with ******* of UWP developers, etc. Nope, doesn't sound realistic. But all the doom and gloom on here and other places has rattle my cage.

I could go on and on but I'll leave it there. Windows 10 Mobile has a future until we hear something from someone who's in the know who says it doesn't.


from Windows Central Forums //forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=457461&goto=newpost
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment