Sunday, April 30, 2017

Using the Lumia 1520 in 2017- (yet another) Experience.

Saw meattray post and seeing as I'm in the same situation I thought it would be cool to share my thoughts. My 1520 arrived in the mail 3 days ago. Sturdy, a little heavy, but boy howdy if it doesn't scream "Nokia" just by touching it. It feels robust and good, despite being plastic. Turned it on, still on 8.1. Updated to 10 after fiddling around for a minute, I have to say, I liked a lot the previous 8.1 interface. It just seemed more... Fun. Download update after update (4 years to catch up aren't a joke), not a single issue. It does get a little too warm but considering the operations it has to performs I don't mind. Calls are better than my previous device (a Nexus 6P) and despite the fact that there is only one speaker it does sound much louder compared to the Nexus' double front facing ones. It's colder though.
As for the system... Well, Windows 10 Mobile is great! The OS itself out-of-the-box is amazing, beautiful and innovative. Live tiles are simply too good, and the UI feels a lot better. The similarity to my PC is good too, so I can seamlessly pass from one to another and feel just at home (besides, the fact that my Windows pc notifies me when there's a notification is a bliss!).
Keyboard is amazingly fast but it's different so it'll take a while to get used to it.
The only, really, the ONLY groundbreaking fatal wound this OS has are apps. There are VERY few apps that works, and even less are optimized. Big shots don't update since a year (looking at you, Spotify) and this brings their apps to be unusable. Plus, even if they work, there are a lot of important features missing (Facebook messenger doesn't allow you to call people, same with Telegram.). If this platform got even as much as half the support iOS and Android have, it would rise so quickly it would dethrone Apple and Google from the mobile market. And about the latter... Why there are no Google apps in the store? The only one is the crappy Google Search app that doesn't even work properly!
Overall, despite being a 2k13 phone, I still prefer it to my Nexus 6P (that I still have around for games and stuff). Is it worth to buy one in 2017? The phone itself is more than worth, it's still a flagship for me. The problem is the OS. So the question is; is W10M worth in 2017? Well, that's up to you. I can only say that I don't regret a single buck I spent on it and besides, Groove Music has double the songs Spotify has ;P
Cheers, LVBNR5 out. Lemme know your thoughts or some cool apps I can download.


from Windows Central Forums //forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=457497&goto=newpost
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment