Sunday, April 2, 2017

Thoughts on the Creator Update

I installed the Creator Update on my Surface Pro 4 the moment it was available (I don't dare put my Pro 4 in the Fast Ring and it wasn't worth testing on my old crappy Toshiba laptop) and I've been using it steadily the next few days. I have a few thoughts.

First, it's clear this isn't as major of an update as the Anniversary Update. But the improvements that are there I like.
Microsoft Edge feels better, much better. It's faster and more stable. The new "set tabs aside" feature is great, even though I haven't used it very much. I lament the slight change in design with the hub being grey instead of black now.
The Paint 3D app is fun. It's not my hobby, but my girlfriend used my tablet for almost two hours straight (she snatched it out of my hands) and just played with a 3D cat when I told her about the app.
The Settings is neater, and I like all the changes they've made here. I've no complaints about anything they've done with Settings.

Overall, it's a solid update. I'd argue that RS3 will be far more important. The Creator Update is more like a minor update, like another Threshold 2, than anything else. I'm not a fan of all the changes. There's a few aesthetic quibbles I have (like the change to the Cortana bar), but it seems, well, faster. Even on Mobile.
Speaking of Mobile, the "minor-ness" of the Creator Update is far more noticeable there. I know there's a lot of behind-the-scenes updates and changes being made. It certainly feels faster and more stable. UUP is definitely an improvement. I know it's paving the way for RS3. But I would've liked to have least seen Night Light come to Mobile.

What do you guys think of the Creator Update in its final form? What would you have liked to see? What do you want to see with RS3?

Also, what other threads are there than I can participate in about the Creator Update?


from Windows Central Forums //forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=455497&goto=newpost
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment